I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm about to share with you the recipe for the world's best bourbon slush: a mint julep slush. I hadn't even heard of a bourbon slush until this week when Chloe and I were hanging out with Christy and Missy making cute Derby fascinators and bow-ties... you know, the sort of thing you do around Kentucky Derby time in Louisville. Christy, of The Bourbon Blush and definitely in-the-know about all things bourbon, shared her morning of Derby routine, which of course included her sought after sweet tea bourbon slushy recipe. Not being a bourbon drinker until recently (I found one I love!) I was curious. So we chatted bourbon, slushies and Feast BBQ while pinning, gluing, and playing with feathers.
Feast BBQ is well-known around Louisville for having fabulous, sinful Bourbon Slushies (known as Bourbon Slush, Bourbon slushy, and Bourbon slushies - take your pick of spellings). They might possibly be the "best in the world," and this little secret is spreading like wildfire. The type of slushies rotates year round (Frozen Mexican Hot Chocolate with Bourbon Slushy anyone?) and in April the slushy was, fittingly, a Mint Julep Slushy in honor of the Kentucky Derby. The recipe was published by Gilt so I whipped it up in no time at all, tasted and mmmm, delish! Make up a batch of these slushies and I can pretty much guarantee that your guests will all be asking for the recipe. And the wildfire will keep spreading.
Mint Julep Slush Recipe
- 4 oz. Bourbon
- 6 oz. ice
- 6 oz. brown sugar simple syrup (combine equal parts (1:1) sugar and water in a bottle and shake vigorously until sugar is completely dissolved)
- 2-3 dashes of Fee Brothers Min & Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters
- Fresh Mint
1. Rub the inside of a glass with the mint. Typically Mint Juleps are served in silver julep cups, but these might more fitting in mason jars.
2. Blend everything together except for the mint.
3. Pour your slushy and garnish with mint and a straw.
And while we're talking Bourbon recipes, if you need something to snack on why not try Maker’s Mark Mint Julep cookies that are served right at the distillery.
Maker’s Mark Mint Julep Cookie Recipe
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely ground oats
- 2 cups Andes Mint Chocolate Candy pieces
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter, sugar and eggs until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and mint chocolate candy pieces. Gradually add to butter mixture until incorporated. Scoop out with a two ounce scoop and place 2 inches apart on baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Allow to cool and add bourbon fudge topping.
Bourbon Fudge Topping:
- 2 cups melted chocolate chips (milk chocolate or semisweet, whichever you prefer)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Maker's Mark Bourbon
Melt chocolate in double boiler, remove from stove. Add sweetened condensed milk and bourbon and mix until incorporated. Top cooled cookies with warm fudge and enjoy.
Mint Julep Slush and Maker's Mark Mint Julep cookies seem like the perfect way to have Derby day anytime! Enjoy!