- Combine the flour and 1/4 tsp salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse in the butter. Combine the sour cream, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup cold water. Add to the dough and chill for an hour.
- Spread the zucchini on a few layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and let sit for 30 minutes, blotting occasionally.
- Combine the oil and garlic. Combine the ricotta, parmesan, mozzarella, and 1 tsp garlic oil.
- Heat oven to 400F. Line a cookie tray with parchment.
- Roll the dough to a 12″ round. Transfer to the parchment. Spread the cheese mixture over the dough, leavening a 2″ border. Shingle the zucchini on top of the cheese and drizzle with the remaining garlic oil. Fold the edges of the dough over to cover part of the zucchini.
- Combine the egg yolk with 1 tsp water. Brush over the edges of the crust and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is golden and the zucchini is wilted.
Recipes for Zucchini Ricotta Crostada
When Zucchini starts growing, everyone is looking for exciting new recipes for zucchini and our Teen Chef, Kayla has a wonderful recipe to share, a Zucchini Ricotta Crostada Recipe: This is the perfect appetizer for your Memorial Day celebration!? A crostada is basically a free-form pie, and this one can be served hot or cold.? It is full of fresh, bright flavors and a variety of textures. There is the crisp, flaky crust, the creamy ricotta cheese, and the succulent zucchini. ? You can add some more spices or herbs to the ricotta if you want to boost the flavor, but it tastes delicious as is! I use sour cream in the crust to keep it moist and slightly tangy. This recipe is simple, rustic, and delicious!
Zucchini Ricotta Crostada, Recipe Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
1 1/4 Cups Flour
3/4 tsp Salt
1 Stick Butter, chilled
1/4 Cup Sour Cream
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 lb Zucchini, sliced in 1/4″ thick rounds
1 T + 1 tsp Olive Oil
1 Clove Garlic, minced
1/2 Cup Ricotta
1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan
1/4 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
1 Egg Yolk
For more delicious recipes by our Teen Chef, Kayla, check out her blog,? The Nerdy Chef!